My process is haphazard. For art, this seems to work well. I spend a lot of time looking at pretty pictures and fabrics. I use my iPhone to take tons of photos of stuff I see that looks cool. I play with my materials creating odd textures or just cutting fabric and sewing it together.
For years I have been promising my daughter I would make her a quilt from her old t-shirts. I think she gave up hope a long time ago. She told me once that she didn't think there really was a t-shirt quilt, that it was just something I said to get her t-shirts and throw them in the trash. It's like that farm where parents say that pets go to because they don't want the kids to know the dog died, she said.
Well, it was not a lie. I saved them and for her 30th birthday (What!) I made a quilt. But it was REALLY hard. During the whole sewing process, I realized that despite all my deficits, I still have one of the best qualities anyone can have. IMHO. Perseverance! Stick-to-it-iveness! Stubborn determination!
I am writing this before I even finish the quilt because I want to remember what I did. I want to remember not what I did right, but what I did wrong. I want to record my problem solving method.
So here's how I did it"
- spent a lot of time researching how to make a t-shirt quilt
- quickly rejected the idea of trying to cut rectangles and match seams
- eventually rejected all methods I could find because they involved measuring, writing, and planning
- decided to wing it
- chose batting (fleece) with iron-on adhesive on one side so I could iron the pieces as I went along
- arranged the cut up t-shirt pieces on wrong side of the fleece so I had to pin down all the pieces
- picked the whole thing and carried it to the sewing machine
- tried to sew pinned pieces to fleece
- stopped after one row of stitching because the pieces were curling up and shifting around
- moved to the couch and tacked down all pieces by hand with long strands of thread
- noticed there were places where the pieces did not meet
- took out all the pins and machine sewed all the pieces down despite gaps
- hand sewed patches over the gaps
- pinned the backing onto the quilt with safety pins (because I forgot AGAIN that there was iron-on adhesive)
- watched a video about free motion stippling a quilt
- started free motion quilting from one side of the quilt to the other in rows because that was what the video recommended
- did one row that way and then forgot what I was doing
- remembered rule about quilting from the center so I did that
- alternated between the two methods in a chaotic fashion
- sewed with the t-shirt side down so I could see the stitches but broke a needle when it hit a rhinestone
- moved all the safety pins to the top side so I could see any rhinestones
- started quilting with the top up but could not tell where I had already quilted since the stitch I used to sew down the patches looks very similar to the quilting
- remembered that there was iron on adhesive on the fleece so I didn't need pins
- realized how many times I needed to switch gears
- marveled at the resiliency I've developed and decided to blog about the process
- ironed on the back and continued to quilt